is it possible to rename a branch ??
# help
h
is it possible to rename a branch ??
a
Hi @HT, We don't currently have this functionality. There may be some performance limitations with supporting an atomic rename operation - I suspect that uncommitted objects will be hard to handle. Having to protect the branch from concurrent operations on it during the tenant operation, and doing so without hurting performance, will be difficult. However, here's a workaround that is equivalent in many scenarios: commit on the branch, check out a new branch from the old branch, and delete the old branch. Would this work for you?
h
ah yes, did not thought about the branch out as new name and delete old name, In my case, I wanted to changed the
main
branch. So I guess, I need to: main => branch to: bad_main delete main future_main => branch to: main
a
Should work! Let us know, of course...
h
actually ... how can you delete
main
branch ??
you need to set a different branch as default I guess ? But then how do set default branch ?
a
Sorry, I don't think that this is currently supported. I cannot immediately see a reason why we cannot, other than that the GUI would look weird. Of course that doesn't mean I'm right, it might be impossible. Could you please open an issue for that? If you can include your use-case it would really help. Thanks!
👍 1
h
sorry for all those weird request. My background is in git and our lakefs is used to versioning our labeled image datasets, which is then tightly coupled with our deep learning training code in git. We are not using it as dumping ground, aka data lake https://github.com/treeverse/lakeFS/issues/6641