Does anyone know of an ASCII representation for ti...
# dev
a
Does anyone know of an ASCII representation for timestamps, similar to ISO8601, but that sorts in reverse order? Long form: @Yoni Augarten and I are working on improving usability of run_id in GC. Currently in order to discover which run_id to provide to a run, you pretty much need a KV store to keep the last few run_ids by time. That's an ops problem. As a first step we want to change the format of run_ids to be sort -- so instead of
<UUID>
we will use something like
<TS_ISO_8601>-<RANDOM>
. Now the files
.../retention/gc/commits/run_id.../commits.csv
will list in time-sorted order. So no need for KV, we can simply list these objects in S3. Unfortunately, it is still hard to go backwards in such a list. And that's actually the preferred mode: "find the last run_id from at least 2 weeks ago". So... I'd really like to name them
<REVERSE_8601_ISH>-<TS_ISO_8601>-<RANDOM
, where RANDOM_8601_ISH is an ISO 8601-like printable representation of timestamp that sorts in reverse order, and we include TS_ISO_8601 merely for readability. Now we just need an encoding 🙂 Where I've gotten so far: use a 9s-complement ASCII representation. An even less-readable representation would use e.g.
10000000000 - EPOCH
(right now would be
(== 10000000000-1662460547), and 5 seconds later it would be
. A more-readable representation might use
<10000-YYYY>-<100-mm>-<100-DD>N<100-HH>:<100-MM>:<100-SS>
, and let you decode in your head with a little effort. Is there any more standard way to do this?
(Apart from RFC 2550 - Y10K and Beyond, of course.)
Amusingly, the above 2 suggestions are precisely this answer and the one below it (StackOverflow).
When we switched from db implementation to kv implementation we make something like the above, while converting the current time based to the reverse order key.
The code we use today to generate new IDs for actions