Hello again! I've got some region troubles when tr...
# help
m
Hello again! I've got some region troubles when trying to use RouterFS. I've configured
blockstore.s3.region
and
gateways.s3.region
as
ca-central-1
, and the underlying bucket is in the same region, but I'm getting this error when it tries to open a file from the translated path.
org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.AWSRedirectException: getFileStatus on <lakefs://lakefs-poc/main/rl_dev_datastage_01_ma_snapshot/sys_audit_event/metadata/version-hint.text>: com.amazonaws.services.s3.model.AmazonS3Exception: The bucket is in this region: us-east-1. Please use this region to retry the request
. Have I perhaps missed a region configuration for the repo on creation? Or is this maybe related to the use of RouterFS. More of the stack in a reply.
Copy code
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AUtils.translateException(S3AUtils.java:242) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AUtils.translateException(S3AUtils.java:175) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.s3GetFileStatus(S3AFileSystem.java:3796) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.innerGetFileStatus(S3AFileSystem.java:3688) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.extractOrFetchSimpleFileStatus(S3AFileSystem.java:5401) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.open(S3AFileSystem.java:1465) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.open(S3AFileSystem.java:1441) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at io.lakefs.routerfs.RouterFileSystem.open(RouterFileSystem.java:125) ~[hadoop-router-fs-0.1.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.open(FileSystem.java:983) ~[hadoop-client-api-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.findVersion(HadoopTableOperations.java:318) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.refresh(HadoopTableOperations.java:104) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.current(HadoopTableOperations.java:84) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.BaseMetastoreCatalog.loadTable(BaseMetastoreCatalog.java:43) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.load(SparkCatalog.java:587) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.loadTable(SparkCatalog.java:142) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.loadTable(SparkCatalog.java:99) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.spark.sql.connector.catalog.TableCatalog.tableExists(TableCatalog.java:156) ~[spark-catalyst_2.12-3.3.0-amzn-1.jar:3.3.0-amzn-1]
I'm using RouterFs to translate the path, so I'm wondering if that might be related
Copy code
2023-10-04 20:58:41,059 INFO [Thread-10] routerfs.RouterFileSystem (RouterFileSystem.java:logTranslatedPaths(348)): getFileStatus: path <s3a://lakefs-poc/main/rl_dev_datastage_01_ma_snapshot/sys_audit_event/metadata> converted to <lakefs://lakefs-poc/main/rl_dev_datastage_01_ma_snapshot/sys_audit_event/metadata>
e
Hi @Michael Gaebel 👋🏻, Give me a moment to read through your message
👍 1
Can you please share what your
fs.s3a.*
configuration looks like?
m
Copy code
("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.impl", "io.lakefs.routerfs.RouterFileSystem"),

#LakeFS S3 access
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.endpoint", "<https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com>"),
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.endpoint.region", "ca-central-1"),
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.access.key", lakefs_access_key),
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.secret.key", lakefs_secret_key),

#Regular S3 access
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.endpoint.region", "ca-central-1"),
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.endpoint", "<https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com>"),
and the mapping for RouterFS
Copy code
("spark.hadoop.routerfs.mapping.s3a.1.replace", f"s3a://{lakefs_repo}"),
    ("spark.hadoop.routerfs.mapping.s3a.1.with", f"lakefs://{lakefs_repo}"),
    ("spark.hadoop.routerfs.default.fs.s3a", "org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem"),
e
Copy code
("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.endpoint", "<https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com>"),
I believe this endpoint needs to point to your lakeFS server
Aside from that, it looks fine
m
ah, that would make sense, of course.
sunglasses lakefs 1
I'll give that a shot
👍🏻 1
Interestingly, I'm still getting the same error:
Copy code
2023-10-05 15:01:44,155 WARN [Thread-10] hadoop.HadoopTableOperations (HadoopTableOperations.java:findVersion(347)): Error trying to recover version-hint.txt data for <s3a://lakefs-poc/main/rl_dev_datastage_01_ma_snapshot/sys_audit_event/metadata/version-hint.text>
org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.AWSRedirectException: getFileStatus on <lakefs://lakefs-poc/main/rl_dev_datastage_01_ma_snapshot/sys_audit_event/metadata/version-hint.text>: com.amazonaws.services.s3.model.AmazonS3Exception: The bucket is in this region: us-east-1. Please use this region to retry the request (Service: Amazon S3; Status Code: 301; Error Code: 301 Moved Permanently; Request ID: 95WM8SYPVNYEC2RK; S3 Extended Request ID: V1NPPfA5JD5ZbhdX6nBF4+OPSq4plxV6ep1uXbSHpwu53rleiIKZIeA/zG+ka4rv31Aj6ExbpMM=; Proxy: null), S3 Extended Request ID: V1NPPfA5JD5ZbhdX6nBF4+OPSq4plxV6ep1uXbSHpwu53rleiIKZIeA/zG+ka4rv31Aj6ExbpMM=:301 Moved Permanently: The bucket is in this region: us-east-1. Please use this region to retry the request (Service: Amazon S3; Status Code: 301; Error Code: 301 Moved Permanently; Request ID: 95WM8SYPVNYEC2RK; S3 Extended Request ID: V1NPPfA5JD5ZbhdX6nBF4+OPSq4plxV6ep1uXbSHpwu53rleiIKZIeA/zG+ka4rv31Aj6ExbpMM=; Proxy: null)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AUtils.translateException(S3AUtils.java:242) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AUtils.translateException(S3AUtils.java:175) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.s3GetFileStatus(S3AFileSystem.java:3796) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.innerGetFileStatus(S3AFileSystem.java:3688) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.extractOrFetchSimpleFileStatus(S3AFileSystem.java:5401) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.open(S3AFileSystem.java:1465) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem.open(S3AFileSystem.java:1441) ~[hadoop-aws-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at io.lakefs.routerfs.RouterFileSystem.open(RouterFileSystem.java:125) ~[hadoop-router-fs-0.1.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.open(FileSystem.java:983) ~[hadoop-client-api-3.3.3-amzn-0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.findVersion(HadoopTableOperations.java:318) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.refresh(HadoopTableOperations.java:104) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.current(HadoopTableOperations.java:84) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.BaseMetastoreCatalog.loadTable(BaseMetastoreCatalog.java:43) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.load(SparkCatalog.java:587) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.loadTable(SparkCatalog.java:142) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.loadTable(SparkCatalog.java:99) ~[iceberg-spark-runtime-3.3_2.12-1.0.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.spark.sql.connector.catalog.TableCatalog.tableExists(TableCatalog.java:156) ~[spark-catalyst_2.12-3.3.0-amzn-1.jar:3.3.0-amzn-1]
I double checked and ran it a couple times to be sure
e
Copy code
("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.endpoint.region", "ca-central-1"),
Can you please remove this and try again? Also, can you please show the full command you're running?
👍 1
m
As for the command, it's part of a larger Pyspark script that's creating an Iceberg table if it doesn't exist. The outer exception is
Copy code
org.apache.iceberg.exceptions.RuntimeIOException: Failed to refresh the table
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.refresh(HadoopTableOperations.java:126)
	at org.apache.iceberg.hadoop.HadoopTableOperations.current(HadoopTableOperations.java:84)
	at org.apache.iceberg.BaseMetastoreCatalog.loadTable(BaseMetastoreCatalog.java:43)
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.load(SparkCatalog.java:587)
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.loadTable(SparkCatalog.java:142)
	at org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog.loadTable(SparkCatalog.java:99)
	at org.apache.spark.sql.connector.catalog.TableCatalog.tableExists(TableCatalog.java:156)
and what we're executing is
lake_spark.read.table(db_tbl_name)
where
lake_spark
is the spark session.
removing that line and attempting again resulted in the same error. The section of config now looks like this
Copy code
#LakeFS S3 access
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.endpoint", lakefs_endpoint),
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.access.key", lakefs_access_key),
    ("spark.hadoop.fs.s3a.bucket.repo.secret.key", lakefs_secret_key),
e
I see
Let me look into this and I'll let you know what I find
m
Thank you! If you need any more details at all, let me know. I'll also try to dig more on my side
e
lakefs
m
I've tried a number of config changes, but I can't seem to get hadoop to see the lakefs "bucket" as
ca-central-1
. Any luck on your side?
e
Sorry, no luck yet I'll try to consult with my colleagues who are more experienced with hadoop and spark
m
One thing I noticed from the stack. I don't see any reference to
io.lakefs.iceberg.LakeFSCatalog
, but I'm not sure if it's meant to be with the configs like this:
Copy code
("spark.sql.catalog.lakefs", "org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog"),
("spark.sql.catalog.lakefs.catalog-impl", "io.lakefs.iceberg.LakeFSCatalog"),
I kind of expected the catalog implementation of LakeFSCatalog to appear
e
Not sure 🤔
We have this article about RouterFS on our blog If you haven't already, I'd suggest referencing that, just to make sure all the basics are covered https://lakefs.io/blog/one-spark-job-many-data-sources/
m
I have, yes
e
For digging deeper, I'll have to consult with one of my colleagues TBH, hadoop/spark/iceberg aren't my area of expertise