Hi Team, Can I pick some issue where I get to work...
# help
v
Hi Team, Can I pick some issue where I get to work from the scratch. For e.g iceberg with lakefs was something on roadmap. Can someone please suggest?
a
Hi @Vaibhav Kumar, Thanks for your time and efforts on lakeFS! Iceberg is in progress by our core team. Right now our focus is very much on the core, and I am afraid that we probably do not have anyone to assist with items with significant setup costs. I can look for items that are entirely self contained, if those will be suitable for you.
Closing the loop: I DM'ed you some relevant issues.
v
Thanks for sharing the issues. I also want to understand what does it take to work on the issues with the core team closely? I hope there would be having people from open source contributing to lakefs. @Ariel Shaqed (Scolnicov)
a
Hi @Vaibhav Kumar, People from Treeverse who work on lakeFS are people from Open Source, of course. So I understand your question as being about what would be required to work on core team issues. I will try to answer as best as I can. Bear in mind that this is my understanding; I do not speak for the company here. We are a commercial company working on lakeFS, which is an Open Source product. You can read Our commitment to open source for full details of what this means to our users. How can you work on lakeFS as a developer? Again, the key is OSS: send a PR and we will gladly review it! On-boarding to develop on lakeFS is always hard; like Euclid said of Geometry, "there is no royal road to lakeFS development". I would recommend starting like most Treeverse R&D do: work on multiple small issues. For instance, this was my first PR, this refactor was my second. Over time experience grows. It takes time and many small or seemingly unimportant PRs. lakeFS is OSS and this means anyone can develop it. It is also true that currently the core team -- Treeverse R&D -- is better funded and more focused to work on lakeFS than anyone else. In practice this means that we can and do commit multiple developers with the most experience on lakeFS. But this is still not a very large team! Rather than spread ourselves all over the many issues, we choose to: • Focus major efforts on some high-priority itens, as described on our roadmap. • Work on small issues and bugs all the time as part of our day-to-day efforts.
v
thanks @Ariel Shaqed (Scolnicov). This helps 🙂